CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sponsor Meeting 4

This past visit to see Charlie I actually had a chance to see the nasty side of being a civil engineer. I saw footage of what Charlie and his co-workers call "Dirty Movies." The videos were not actually dirty movies, they were footage of what goes on inside a sewer line. In the video I saw several different types of cracking and gaps in piping. At one point in the video I actually saw tree roots that pierced the sewer line to reach the nutrients in the water that was running through. Soon after I saw that, I also saw something that posed a serious problem to the area the pipe was running through. The side of the pipe actually broke. I saw a huge break in the pipe wall exposing the ground. When I asked Charlie about it he told me that it must off been a recent break and that it needs to be replaced immediately. After a while longer of watching I began to get bored of watching the same thing. When Charlie noticed this he asked me if I wanted to go visit the drafters again. I answered with rejoice. There, I learned a little more about how the plans are created on the computer with AUTO CAD, a program which enables drawings and renderings of land plots and/or projects. Next week when I visit, Charlie hopes to have me actually start my senior project product. Hopefully I won't face any problems early on.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This subterranean stuff is something that most people never think about. Tree roots can indeed inflict damage on the sewer lines.

    ReplyDelete