CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Project Exploration


I've always had an interest in music. Listening to music allows me to express myself in whatever mood I'm in. At times i feel a deep connection with the lyrics of gospel and R&B and other instance to just dance to Hip Hop. But my true connection to music comes from my roots, Puerto Rico. The music native to the island flows through me everyday. Salsa, Merengue, and of course Reggaeton forms who I am; it's forever edged into my soul and my heart. My research paper will consist of how the evolution of classical music formed what I know today as Salsa music.
I've always listened to salsa music when I was little. My parents played it whenever we had company. The flow of the music excited me and always seemed to grasp my attention, especially when people began to dance to the music. as soon as I saw people dance I immediately had the urge to do the same, but I didn't know how to. Now I know how to dance salsa somewhat and I love dancing to the music.
Salsa music developed from classical music. This transition occurred in several steps. In the beginning, the classical music soon gained a new rhythm by using the beats of African drums which produced the fierce dance, the Tango. However, the true start of Latin dance all started in Cuba with the Son. Later on the North American Son was renamed Salsa and as for the music, newer and newer musical instruments were added like trumpets and guitars.




1 comment:

  1. I think you're on track for what could be an excellent research paper topic. I wonder if sound and music has anything to do with what engineers do?

    ReplyDelete